Claire is a barrister at the bar of England & Wales, and practiced in London, UK, for 8 years. She moved to Toronto in 2017 and is in the process of qualifying for the Ontario bar.
Claire is an experienced litigator and court advocate. Her UK practice specialized in class actions, environmental law and human rights, and she will continue practising in those areas upon her call to the Ontario bar.
She speaks French and Spanish and is happy to work in those languages.
Claire has extensive experience representing claimants in complex tort cases, typically where environmental damage leads to claims for personal injury and financial loss.
Cross-border litigation formed a significant part of Claire’s UK practice. As such, she developed expertise in the conflicts of laws, including jurisdiction and forum non conveniens issues.
She represented local communities and fishermen in proceedings against Shell subsidiaries in Nigeria for extensive oil spillage affecting their livelihoods and causing long-term damage to the environment.
She acted for a group of farmers in Colombia in proceedings against former subsidiaries of BP for the damage caused to their farms and livelihoods as a result of the construction of the OCENSA pipeline. Claire was involved in the trial in this claim which lasted six months.
Much of Claire’s work in the UK involved construction or engineering issues surrounding large infrastructure projects, and in particular linear construction projects. Claire also has extensive experience with contaminated water sources, remedial works for polluted environments and airport engineering.
Before joining the bar, Claire worked for three years at Leigh Day solicitors where she was closely involved in the ‘Trafigura case’ in which some 30,000 claimants from the Ivory Coast sued oil multinational Trafigura for compensation following a toxic waste spillage in Abidjan. This became the largest group litigation case in the UK at the time and resulted in a compensation settlement for the claimants.
- London School of Economics, BA Law and Anthropology (2004)
- London School of Economics, LLM Public International Law (2006
- England & Wales, 2009
- Ontario, pending (anticipated 2018)
- Crown Office Row Chambers, London, UK
- Canada Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Toronto Advocates’ Society
- Toronto Lawyers Association
- Association des juristes d’expression française de l’Ontario (AJEFO)
- Lincoln’s Inn, London, UK
- Middle Temple Inn, London, UK
Claire is ranked in Chambers and Partners (UK Bar) and described as:
- “A very bright junior and a rising star at the Bar, she is dedicated and a creative thinker.” (2017)
- “She delivers very confident cross-examinations and has wide appeal as she has both great expertise and a great way of putting clients at ease.” (2017)
- “Does a lot of international work, and she’s certainly good on the private law side.” (2018)
- “She’s doing very well; she’s a star in the making.” (2018)