Partner / Commercial Litigation Lawyer
Peter is a fierce commercial litigator with specialties in intellectual property (including trademark, copyright, and entertainment matters), product liability, and class actions. Peter’s clients include Canadian, U.S. and international intellectual property rights holders, trade associations, film and television producers, franchisors, certification bodies, and manufacturers and distributors in a variety of industries around the world.
Clients in a wide range of commercial disputes – from oppression remedy and private shareholder litigation, to fraud and contract claims – have benefited from Peter’s strong courtroom presence. Manufacturers, retailers, distributors, and specialty insurers in product liability claims and multi-district class actions all rely on Peter’s strategic advice to effectively navigate their disputes and to achieve successful resolutions either through negotiation or in the courts, when necessary.
His significant experience in trademark, copyright and entertainment law disputes in the Federal Court of Canada as well as in the provincial courts of Ontario and British Columbia means that he has the flexibility to effectively represent his clients in all judicial forums. He has represented copyright collectives before the Copyright Board of Canada, the Federal Court, and the Supreme Court of Canada.
Peter provides practical and effective risk management and product recall advice to a diverse range of manufacturers and distributors in different sectors, including auto and medical device products, and he assists his corporate clients with risk management issues.
Peter has been repeatedly recognized as a leading lawyer by Benchmark Litigation as a “Litigation Star: Intellectual Property” and by Managing Intellectual Property as an “IP Star,” as well as by Best Lawyers in Canada for Product Liability and Entertainment Law. He is also noted in WTR 1000: The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals as “supremely comfortable in the courtroom.”
- University of Toronto, B.A., with distinction, 1994
- University of Western Ontario, LL.B., 2003
- Ontario, 2004
- British Columbia, 2020
Memberships and Affiliations:
- Board member of the Advocates’ Society
- Copyright Society of the USA (CSUSA)
- International Trademark Association (INTA), Member-at-Large
- Defense Research
- Defense Research Institute (DRI), Committee member and former seminar chair for Intellectual Property Committee, Committee member and Sponsorship Vice Chair for Product Liability Committee, International Special Law Group
- Canada Bar Association / Ontario Bar Association
- Marketing Chair for the 2022 Products Seminar (DRI)
- Communications Chair for the DRI Intellectual Property Litigation Group
- Benchmark Litigation(Class Action, Intellectual Property, Product Liability)
- Best Lawyers in Canada(Product Liability, Entertainment)
- Managing Intellectual Property, IP Star
- WTR 1000: The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals