Associate/Class Actions, Commercial Litigation
Jonathan Schachter is a senior associate at Waddell Phillips. Jonathan’s practice focuses primarily on class proceedings and complex multi-party litigation. He has a keen interest in consumer protection, LGBTQ2+ rights, privacy, and holding public authorities to account.
Jonathan is a tenacious and creative lawyer. He applies his strong sense of justice and practical approach to the law to protect society’s most vulnerable people. He has appeared in all levels of court in Ontario and before various administrative tribunals. He has considerable experience in professional regulation, including acting on behalf of the Law Society in disciplinary hearings, and as preferred counsel for LawPRO. Jonathan’s class action experience includes over forty antitrust claims relating to price fixing in the automotive industry, and a prominent consumer-protection class action relating to illegal gift card fees. He has worked on a wide range of public-interest matters since his call to the Bar.
Prior to joining Waddell Phillips, Jonathan practiced at other top litigation boutiques in Toronto, with a focus on consumer protection and civil liberties. He has sat as a member of the SOGIC executive committee, both at the Ontario Bar Association and at the Canadian Bar Association, and he is a board member of the Public Interest Advocacy Centre.
- Erasmus University Rotterdam, L.L.M. (Law & Economics, summa cum laude), 2018
- University of Toronto Faculty of Law, J.D., 2012
- Trinity College Dublin, M.Litt. (Social Policy), 2009
- Trinity College Dublin, P.Grad.Dipl. (Statistics), 2008
- Trinity College Dublin, M.A. (History & Political Science, gold medal), 2006 magna cum laude)
- Ontario, 2013
- Public Interest Advocacy Centre – Director (2018 – Current)
- Toronto Lawyers’ Association – Member