Sophia Irish Dales
Associate/Class Actions, Commercial Litigation
Sophia Irish Dales is an associate litigation lawyer at Waddell Phillips. Her practice focuses on the prosecution of class actions and complex civil and commercial litigation. Sophia has a track record of effective negotiation as well as tenacious courtroom advocacy. Sophia regularly appears before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice. She has conducted arbitrations at the Financial Services Commission of Ontario and the Licence Appeal Tribunal.
Prior to joining Waddell Phillips, Sophia practiced personal injury litigation at a boutique firm in Ottawa, where she successfully represented clients in various insurance litigation matters, including long-term disability claims, accident benefits claims, motor vehicle accident litigation and occupiers’ liability litigation.
Sophia is motivated by social justice and advancing access to justice in her practice. She has represented clients at the Social Benefits Tribunal and the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board. During law school, Sophia received the International Commission of Jurists Award for her legal research paper relating to international human rights law.
- University of Ottawa, Juris Doctor, 2014
- University of Ottawa, Bachelor of Social Sciences, 2011 (magna cum laude)
- Ontario, 2015
- Toronto Lawyers Association
- The Advocates’ Society
- Ontario Bar Association, Class Actions Law and Civil Litigation Sections
- The Advocacy Club
- “Acknowledging the ‘Personal’ in Personal Injury: A Forgotten Social Justice Practice”, Women’s Trial Lawyer’s Caucus Newsletter, Summer 2018