Completed Class Actions
Have a question about a specific class action, or an idea for a potential class action? Contact us.
The Personal Insurance Co. Privacy Breach Class Action
This privacy class action was brought on behalf of: All persons who: (1) were insured by The Personal Insurance Company under a valid automobile insurance policy between January 2012 and May 2019; (2) made an automobile insurance claim under that policy with The Personal during that time; and (3) consented to the collection and/or use of their credit score by The Personal or its agents as part of the fraud prevention and detection needs of The Personal’s claims management process. Learn more.
ParkLane Class Action
- Margaret Waddell was co-counsel in this class action with Landy Marr Kats LLP and Paliare Roland LLP. The final settlement of this class action brought against ParkLane Financial Group Limited, its associated companies and lawyers, was approved by the Ontario Superior Court on May 9, 2017.
- The time to claim a portion of the settlement proceeds expired on July 31, 2017.
- Appeals relating to any reassessments by CRA were not part of the class action, and questions related to CRA assessments should be addressed to that agency.
- The Claims Administrator anticipates that the settlement proceeds will be distributed to qualifying class members by early 2018. Questions regarding claim distribution should be directed to the Claims Administrator.
- For further information about the class action and the settlement, including the reasons for decision on the settlement go to: www.parklanesettlement.ca or www.parklaneclassaction.ca.
Detour Gold Class Action
- Margaret Waddell was co-counsel in this class action with Morganti Legal. The final settlement of this class action was approved by the Superior Court of Justice on June 27, 2017.
- The time to claim a portion of the settlement proceeds expired on September 29, 2017.
- Further information about the class action can be found here.
- For information about the terms of the settlement, contact the claims administrator at: http://www.detourgoldsettlement.com/
VW Securities Fraud Class Action
- Waddell Phillips PC was co-counsel with Morganti Legal in this class action that was brought on behalf of Ontarians who bought shares or ADRs of Volkswagen Aktiengesellschaft (VW) in the period between March 12, 2009 to and including September 18, 2015 (the Class Period).
- The claim related to alleged misrepresentations by VW with respect to the emissions from its “clean diesel” vehicles that were, in fact, equipped with a “defeat device” that made the emissions from the diesel vehicles seem substantially cleaner than they actually were.
- The Superior Court of Justice dismissed the action after it determined that it would not take jurisdiction over the claim, and that any claims would have to be brought in Germany or the United States.
St. Jude Defibrillator Class Action
This certified class action was brought on behalf of every person resident in Canada that had been implanted with one of several specific models of the St. Jude Defibrillator (ICD). Learn more.
Stableview Class Action
This proposed class action was brought against Stableview Asset Management Inc., the Funds that it managed and Colin Fisher on behalf of all the investors in the Stableview Yield and Growth Fund, the Stableview Progressive Growth Fund and Stableview Insight Fund LP from January 1, 2016 to March 24, 2020, and who remained invested in any of these funds as of March 24, 2020. Learn more.
Aboriginal Day Scholars Class Action
This certified Class Action was brought on behalf of Day Scholars – students who attended Indian Residential Schools (“IRS”) during the day only but did not sleep there overnight, and their Descendants (their children). The lawsuit claimed that IRSs destroyed Class Members’ language and culture, violated their cultural and linguistic rights, and caused psychological harms. The Federal Court has approved a settlement agreement that resolves the Day Scholar Survivor and Descendant Class claims. Learn more.